Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

The M-Word Project

I have started working on a documentary about my dear friend and roommate, Minka. She is 23 years-old pre-op MtF (male to female) transgender, with her Correction surgery (SRS) scheduled for May. She has been living as Minka (which is now her legal name) for over a year now and has overcome so much to be where she is and know who she is better than most.

The purpose of this film and photo project is to let Minka tell her story and hopefully help people gain a better understanding of the situation. Minka is one of the most amazing and selfless women I know, and having known her before her Real Life Test and after there is no doubt in my mind that she is female and that genetics failed her. I cared deeply about her and her cause and want to share her story. My goal for this project is to help people understand that nothing is wrong with her (minus the fact that she is living in a body that she should have never been put in) or any transgender for that matter. Mistakes happen and thankfully we live in a time where we have the technology and the resources to correct them. My focus on this project will be purely from Minka's viewpoints: her thoughts, her opinions, and her life. I want to focus on her unique identity and her struggles and hopes with her transformation. I also hope to dissolve the illusion of labels; Minka is a person who happens to be transgender. Not "Minka the Transgender". As Minka puts it, "You would not say 'That's a Blind.' Or 'He's a Deaf.'" Bottom line is we are all people. We are all human.

I understand this project is a touchy subject for many, as we will be exploring and talking about identity, sex, religion, and the transformation Minka has gone through, is going through, and what is ahead for her. I make no apologies for anything offensive. I cannot ask someone to tell me all of their hopes and feeling and then censor them. This is Minka's story and I want it to be told it in its entirety.

As part of this project I am also hoping to help with the cost of the surgery and/or expenses the will arias in the process. I am doing this because I feel Minka deserves this and I want to help in anyway I can. Any little bit helps and is greatly appreciated! I thank you! Please Spread and Share The M-Word Project with everyone! Here is the link to the fund raiser! http://minkahole.chipin.com/minka-krasiva-hole

No comments:

Post a Comment